Group members

1. Elizabeth Crafton
  2. Emily Greenwood
  3. Justin Hubbard
  4. Minh Nguyen
  5. Sarah Spencer

76 thoughts on “Group 3

1. Week 15

First of all, I did not have a good grasp on creating info graphics prior to taking this class. What we learned in class with Piktochart and the other info graphic software gave me a new skill, which I’ve already used for a different multimedia journalism class. I also think my videography skills are more enhanced now. The main reason is because of the critiques we got for the Day 1 assignment – I feel like I’ve got a much better grasp on what makes a good video now. I also learned that finding sources on a high school beat can be a challenge sometimes. If I ever have to cover high school sports again (I really hope not), I will most certainly become acclimated with all the coaches and ADs right from the start, hopefully giving me an easier time than I’ve experienced during this class. Another thing I’ve learned is that it’s okay to use your own voice. I tend to be more straightforward in my writing, but Prof. Michaelis suggested showing a little more personality and I think that helps. Finally, as Emily alluded to, I’ve learned to show, not tell, in my writing. I’m still not great at it, but I’m a more effective storyteller now than I was prior to taking this class.

2. Sometimes I’m too old school for my own good, so I learned a lot about the importance of multimedia elements this semester. Since I’m such a words person, I often overlook the photo/video/infographic side of things and how it can tell a story in its own way. So I learned a respect for the new age. I also learned it’s OK to rely more on your own words than those of your sources. Several editors I’d had in the past told me the ration of quotes to my words needed to be about 50:50, which is terrifying. So I’m glad we got that straightened out. When you add it on top of other responsibilities, this class certainly challenged me to stay on top of my reporting.

3. Heading into the class, I definitely felt like a rookie amongst so many veterans who I know are talented great journalist. After completing this class, I know I’m leaving as a much better writer just from observing my peers, along with professor Michaelis. One of the things that stood out to me was how easily some of my peers were able to pitch story ideas from angles I could never would have thought of. Hence, it really has opened up my perspective on all the various story ideas that can come out of a simple subject. Moreover, I’ve become a more concise writer. I know I’m still wordy, but it’s improving for sure because I’ve finally fully grasp the concept of the show, don’t tell saying. Lastly, in terms of video, the vertical shots are something I will never do again. Wide shots create the best visuals. Overall, I still have a ways to go, but I’m making strides to becoming a great journalist.

4. Week 15

I think I learned a ton of extremely important specifics in this class, like how to capture a great photo and what makes a good video. But the biggest takeaways I have come away with are less specific. I really liked the sourcing information we went over early in the semester. Learning the best sources at each level is valuable, but I think the bigger picture is that I understand now how to get the information that I need and that there are always ways to access the people and stories I’m looking for, even if it requires immense persistence. I also feel that I’ve improved as a writer, which I haven’t felt in a while. Through internships and other classes, I feel that I’ve mastered specific styles of writing (gamers, press releases, etc.) but I feel like I’m a better writer as a whole after this class. The “show, don’t tell” mantra has been the most important change in my writing and I think that will stick with me in the years to come.

5. Week 13

Dialogue

1. Though technically just a quote, I love the overlay of quotes by Ali as the video begins. It shows you how unabashedly confident he was. “I can drown a drink of water and kill a dead tree, wait ’til you see Muhammad Ali.”

2. “They’re going to want to take my head off, or something. They’re going to want to be like ‘I was the one who knocked out Muhammad Ali’s grandson.” – I think this quote by Nico, playing the same sport as his dad, illustrates the pressure that these kids are under due to their last name. It shows the notoriety of their grandfather.

3. “I didn’t want him to like boxing,” – I thought this was a super interesting quote by Rasheda Ali Walsh. No matter how big of a legend someone is, there are always things happening behind the curtain you don’t know about. In this case, I think she has an aversion to sports becoming all-consuming because of her father’s death. Or perhaps his life and how much of it he spent in the ring.

6. Week 13

Anecdotes

1. I liked the story about the state championship game. Biaggio said he is similar to his grandfather in his speed, so this story was a great way to show how that speed has translated to success on the field. And having someone else (his mother) tell the story, adds credibility and an outside perspective to show the likeness between Biaggio and Ali.

2. I’m not sure how much of an anecdote this is, because it isn’t referring to a specific incident. But I think Nico’s comment about Ali doing everything wrong added a great deal to the story. It is clear that both boys look up to their grandfather and have immense respect for him, but it’s interesting to know that Nico, the boxer, does not want to emulate Ali’s fighting style. It’s interesting to see that this 14-year-old can be objective when speaking about someone he has likely looked up to all his life.

3. The fact that most of the family did not want Nico to box was a really interesting little anecdote. Those with a basic understanding of Ali and his life know the toll Parkinson’s took on the boxer. So talking to a 14-year-old boy with boxing dreams about a disease that could ruin his career shows a maturity in him that is uncommon in people that young. It seems the family is well-aware of the risks associated with Nico boxing, but it is important to note that the entire family is supporting him despite their concerns.

7. Week 13

Anecdotes

1. An anecdote that is mentioned in the beginning from Biaggio and Nico’s mother when she recalls the state championship game against Reed when Biaggio finally broke away for touchdown. He has been known for his breakaway speed , so to finally see in that particular important game was huge.

2. Another one was when Baggio ran his first 40-yard dash and was expecting a 4.5, but got 4.38.

3. Nico’s coach recalls whenever Nico Ali does the shuffle during his boxing matches, it really reminds him on Muhammed Ali himself.

8. Week 13

Telling Details

-I thought it was cool how they showed Biaggio’s 40-yard dash time while a few people spoke. It verified what they were saying about his speed, and the video info graphic-type feature was pretty cool, too.

-Nico’s only 14 years old and has only trained as a boxer for 14 months. It was important to include these notes, because the trainer and Nico’s mom were talking about how good he is, and it kind of shows how long he’s been working at it. It also catches the viewer’s attention because, judging by the clips, Nico is already showing signs of being a gifted boxer. Adding his age and amount of training does even more to catch the viewer’s focus.

-I also thought it was interesting how Nico said he doesn’t want to necessarily fight like Ali because Ali did some unconventional things inside the ring.

Leave a comment